Galvanized chassis history

Land Rover Defender, 90, 110, 127 130

Moderator: pretdave

LRUSA

Galvanized chassis history

Postby LRUSA » 10 Mar 2013 00:02

Does anyone know what the history of the galvanized chassis in South Africa is? What years were they made, and what models were they specifically made for? It's my understanding that the hi-lines all have them. Was it an option you could purchase separately for any model 110 and Defender?

JPC

Re: Galvanized chassis history

Postby JPC » 09 Apr 2013 20:10

Hi LRUSA

All Land Rovers here in SA were either direct imports or were assembled here from CKD kits. I doubt that any chassis were actually manufactured here as they are part of the CKD kit. I will however make some enquiries as to the VIN number giving an indication if the chassis was galvanised. Information here in SA regarding Land Rovers pre the coiler era is virtually non existant.

JP

JPC

Postby JPC » 10 Apr 2013 15:51

Hi LRUSA

OK, this is what I could find out so far from a source at AAD. Amalgamated Auto Distributors did the assembly/manufacturing in South Africa prior to BMW buying the brand, and after British Leyland dis-invested from SA. The plants were at Blackheath and Elsiesriver, near Cape Town.

Only the 109" chassis for the Land Rover Series 3S was manufactured here, and they were all galvanised.

The 110' and later the 90" had the chassis as part of the CKD kit from the UK, and they were all galavanised here before assembly, until
the BMW take over.

If you really want a galvanised chassis then you could source one from the UK after-market, or you could strip yours down , repair where necessary and galvanise it.

I hope this info helps.

Ciao

JP

JPC

Postby JPC » 11 Apr 2013 22:54

Hi again LRUSA

The VIN number gives no indication of galvanised chassis or Hi Line.

Ciao

JP

Btw, why the inquiry?

JPC

Postby JPC » 30 Apr 2013 20:25

Latest chassis info I have is that the chassis were built here in SA prior to 1963 already. In 1963 the chassis were built from locally produced steel, both 109 and 88. Even the 110 chassis was produced here prior to the BMW takeover, again galvanised as per the Series 3S chassis.
No chassis are produced here currently.
Ciao

Heythere

Postby Heythere » 28 Aug 2013 18:42

Thanks jpc, I was just trying to figure out when the galvanized chassis were offered... Whether it was an option, or if it came standard on certain models. I'm curious as to why some have it and some don't. I have the hi- line option with the v8, which seems like all theses models have the galvanized chassis (that I've seen.) I guess I was hoping to be able to decipher some how from a VIN whether a Landy had the galvanized chassis or not.

(Changed user name because couldn't log back in right.. Formally LRUSA.) sorry for way late response.

Return to “Defender”