Freelander 2 HSE Noise on Rear Diff? Urgent help please

Land Rover Freelander 1 and 2

Moderator: pretdave

CoenP

Freelander 2 HSE Noise on Rear Diff? Urgent help please

Postby CoenP » 04 Jul 2015 13:06

Hi

I just testdrove a Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 HSE 2010 mod....with 112000 on the clock.....

When you accelerate and take your foot of the pedal to slow down there is whirring noise from the back....that seems like it is on the diff.....

What would be the likely cause and what should we look for....as I am very keen on getting the vehicle, but concerned about the noise and the possible long term damage

It is an Auromatic box

Please give me your input on this....urgently looking for advise and or guidance

Thanx
Coen

Cor

Re: Freelander 2 HSE Noise on Rear Diff? Urgent help please

Postby Cor » 06 Jul 2015 13:29

Hi Coen,

I have a Freelander 2 2010 TD4 HSE with 137 000Km on the clock, and the exact same whining noise problem. Numerous articles on the internet reference this issue and according this service bulletin, LTB00342 http://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/us ... B00342.pdf, some Freelander 2 vehicles may experience failure of the pinion tail bearing due to static overload. My vehicle is presently at Land Rover Bloemfontein and I've just received feedback from the dealer quoting me R20 000.00 for a new rear differential and almost R3 000.00 labour to replace the diff. I've taken an extended mechanical warranty when I purchased the vehicle nearly six months ago, and hope to claim the expense against the warranty. The differential fault aside, the Freelander 2 is an amazing vehicle and a pleasure to drive.

CoenP

Re: Freelander 2 HSE Noise on Rear Diff? Urgent help please

Postby CoenP » 06 Jul 2015 15:01

Hi Cor

Thank you for this feedback.....I will get them to have it checked...they seem rather unwilling to have it sent to Land Rover...and the thing is it does not happen all the time....

But agree...what a stunning vehicle!!!

Thanx

Return to “Freelander”