WARNING! Land Rover workshops can't get oil levels right

Land Rover Freelander 1 and 2

Moderator: pretdave

JvR

WARNING! Land Rover workshops can't get oil levels right

Postby JvR » 20 Oct 2012 08:10

I previously shared some of my frustrations about Land Rover's poor service under the topic Should I Buy A Freelander 2? where I highlighted this aspect as one of the main reasons one should think twice before spending the rather high asking price on a new Freelander. Unfortunately we did... twice... In any event, I want to specifically refer to what seems to be a general problem among Land Rover workshops (yes, more than one) - they can't get the oil levels right when they refill it. Here are the stats: Our first Freelander 2 had to undergo 4 services before we sold it again; the various Land Rover workshops got it wrong with 3/4 services!; Land Rover Menlyn, Rustenburg, Centurion all got it wrong; Land Rover Polokwane/Pietersburg was the only workshop that actually got it right. Each time they had more or less the same amount of surplus (too much) oil, approx 30%. This amounts to approx. 2 litres of extra, unwanted oil! I could never figure out how they got something so basic, yet so vitally important, so wrong?

We recently traded in the old TD4 S model for a SD4 HS model... What a nice car...(well, after we resolved a few initial problems with some poorly hided bumps and re-painted bodyparts that raised some serious questions about sales ethics). BUT, back to my point... We just had it serviced at McCarthy Motors Land Rover Midrand (where we purchased it) and even though I specifically asked them to check the oil again after they were done, low and behold... On the way back I started to suspect that something was wrong because it was lazy as hell (which I have started to associate with these high oil levels). The next morning when I checked the oil level with a cold engine, my fears were confirmed. I found it to be at the same high level again! I was extremely unhappy about this, seeing that I had to drive 3 hours to Midrand and 3 hours back again to have it serviced, so I emailed them demanding that they resolve it immediately. Their workshop manager suggested that I should ask a repair shop in town to suck out the excess oil. He was also suprised to learn that this has happened so frequently and provided me with some feedback that he received from Land Rover. They insisted that the electronic measuring device cannot get it wrong and that the vehicle takes 6 litres of oil. The only way that something can go wrong would be if either the old oil was not completely drained or if the oil filter was never replaced. This prompted me to do some further research and it seems that the Freelander's oil filter is notoriously difficult to replace. Quite a few customers (this was in Australia) had experiences where Land Rover workshops never actually replaced the filters.

I cannot prove it, but I have a nasty feeling that this is also happening in SA and judging by my own experience, it is happening quite fequently. A word of advice - always insist that you are present when they replace the oil filter and always insist that they check the oil levels on the actual dipstick before you leave the workshop! I had 2 pints of oil removed (and had to pay for the work) but it is still over-filled, so I would have to go back and ask them to suck out at least another 2 pints!?

JvR

Re: WARNING! Land Rover workshops can't get oil levels right

Postby JvR » 20 Oct 2012 10:00

Correction - our first Freelander 2 was a S model while the new one is a SE.

JvR

Re: WARNING! Land Rover workshops can't get oil levels right

Postby JvR » 13 Nov 2012 09:50

In the interim our vehicle's service light has also started to flash. In any event, I would like to compliment McCarthy Land Rover Midrand for attending to my problems when I stopped there very late on a Friday afternoon. They quickly reset the service light and they sucked out another pint of oil in order to get it within the dipstick margins. Thanks guys!

The service manager was also very helpful in addressing a few of the misconceptions which I had, amongst others that the vehicle's lazy response after the service was not as a result of the high oil levels, but due to the fact that the electronic management systems gets reset to its default during a service and that it takes a bit of time to get going again (they even referred to an exact number of gear changes that it should take), while they were convinced that the high oil levels would not really cause any harm. They have actually also performed a few tests since receiving my complaint and they are now of the opinion that there may be a general problem i.t.o the required oil quantity that is specified by the manufacturer compared with the actual dipstick calibration. :idea: They are attending to it though, which is great.

Return to “Freelander”