Should I buy the Freelander 2?

Land Rover Freelander 1 and 2

Moderator: pretdave

sim1

Should I buy the Freelander 2?

Postby sim1 » 04 Feb 2008 08:43

HI, I'm very close to buy the Freelander 2.
I've heard so many things about it that I'm more confused than informed.
There are very dew around (compared to Toyotas but also compared to Discovery 3).

It reliability really an issue.

I'd like to know for Freelander 2 owners what they think.

Thanks,

Sim1

disco

Re: Should I buy the Freelander 2?

Postby disco » 15 May 2008 08:00

No

Who drives Freelanders. Really! Vegetarians? Dog lovers? Family Therapists?

Pumba

Postby Pumba » 15 May 2008 11:49

It's so empty in this here Freelander forum, not much going on, so maybe they never break? :mrgreen:

The Freelander is not my cup of tea, although the latest one looks "nice"

pretdave

Postby pretdave » 15 May 2008 17:36

In its own right the Freelander is a great car - obviously not to be used as a Bundu Basher.
I have heard nothing negative about the new model . The old model was of course a disaster wrt reliability. All the know alls will remember the older models of course . I think the Freelander 2 and Freelander 1 are chalk and cheese ...

Cheers Dave
Defender 130 TD5 2000 GALACTICA
www.clrc.co.za

mufasa

Postby mufasa » 18 May 2008 01:33

we haven't had any problems with them at all yet..

if you buy one please invest in a tank gaurd due to the tank being too low for serious off-road use
you will be very impressed with the 400nm of torque which the diesel delivers- very nice
I would go for the automatic over the manual

very nice car

110WestCape

Postby 110WestCape » 13 Nov 2008 15:19

"Freelander" and "serious off-road" in the same sentence ? Sounds wrong ...... :( ..... wrong ... wrong ..... wrong
2004 Defender 110 CSW, TD5, Melkbosstrand

Andrew90

Postby Andrew90 » 14 Nov 2008 08:36

I have driven the Freelander offroad in Sand (Southern Mozam), rocks and mud (Sani after heavy rain in Summer) and at Land Rover Experience in Natal on their offroad track.

While you may say that I am biased because I work at a Dealer (NOT stealer...), i have found it to be seriously competent.

Ground clearance is not as high as Disco's, Defenders etc but it is the same as a Fortuner (210 mm I think) - and there are no bits sticking down to be knocked by middel mannetjies etc. If you are worried about capability stick on a slightly larger set of BFG AT's or something...

It is not designed to be a rock crawling buggy or an expedition vehicle but i have seen it on a cross axle with only the front left and rear right wheels on the ground and the TC works it out immediately and puts the power where it is needed.

In (DEEP) sand it is more fun than the Disco 3 and way more responsive etc than a Defender.

Also in mud, very impressive (I drove around the new stadium in Durban's construction site after heavy rain - axle deep mud) with silly road biased tires on and with a bit of momentum it was very good.

If you are not looking for a vehicle to do offroad competitions in or to drive to Cairo don't knock it. It is more than capable enough for what 90 percent of people do off road.

The diesel auto is the business because of the lack of clutch - much kinder on the car in the slow stuff and with 400 nM and 118 KW you never lack for power!

Lastly, judging by the number of forum topics on fuel saving, the joys of a sub 10l/100 km car is not to be ignored.

Just my thoughts
2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto/2009 Defender 110 CSW/2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S

pretdave

Postby pretdave » 14 Nov 2008 09:43

I have driven the Freelander offroad in Sand (Southern Mozam), rocks and mud (Sani after heavy rain in Summer) and at Land Rover Experience in Natal on their offroad track.

While you may say that I am biased because I work at a Dealer (NOT stealer...), i have found it to be seriously competent.

Ground clearance is not as high as Disco's, Defenders etc but it is the same as a Fortuner (210 mm I think) - and there are no bits sticking down to be knocked by middel mannetjies etc. If you are worried about capability stick on a slightly larger set of BFG AT's or something...

It is not designed to be a rock crawling buggy or an expedition vehicle but i have seen it on a cross axle with only the front left and rear right wheels on the ground and the TC works it out immediately and puts the power where it is needed.

In (DEEP) sand it is more fun than the Disco 3 and way more responsive etc than a Defender.

Also in mud, very impressive (I drove around the new stadium in Durban's construction site after heavy rain - axle deep mud) with silly road biased tires on and with a bit of momentum it was very good.

Excellent feedback.
Dave

If you are not looking for a vehicle to do offroad competitions in or to drive to Cairo don't knock it. It is more than capable enough for what 90 percent of people do off road.

The diesel auto is the business because of the lack of clutch - much kinder on the car in the slow stuff and with 400 nM and 118 KW you never lack for power!

Lastly, judging by the number of forum topics on fuel saving, the joys of a sub 10l/100 km car is not to be ignored.

Just my thoughts
Defender 130 TD5 2000 GALACTICA
www.clrc.co.za

Pinotage

Postby Pinotage » 13 Jul 2009 20:29

Have had my TD4 AT SE for 15 months now, BRILLIANT vehicle, took a TDV6 S Disco 2009 for a test drive this morning, (need extra seating), and prefer the nimble performance of my TD4 - Hope you bought one. Rgds

newowner

Postby newowner » 29 May 2010 12:10

Yes, buy a freelander. I have taken a while to post as I wanted to build an unbiased opinion of the vehicle. I have owned and worked with Defenders and have now had my Freelander 2 SE for about a year. I live in a game reserve and thus don't only use the vehicle for weekend "joll's". It handles everything (dirt roads, river crossings and banks etc. ) extermely well and is in a class of its own as far as "soft roader" go's on the road.
If you want to go overlanding, pack jerry cans on a roof and crawl over rocks in the Richtersveld get a Defender, but be prepared for an uncomfortable trip. Unless you are built like a grashopper your right shoulder and arm will only be comfortable if the window is open.
If you are keen on heading out to area where you will encounter some dirt roads and sand etc. a freelander is the way to go. The freelander will be able to do everything most people need off road and offer a fantastic on road drive as well as fuel economy, doors that seal, suspension that holds the road on and off road, no rattles and much more.
LR have designed their vehicles for specific reasons but the Freelander 2 is by far the most practical all round vehicle.

Return to “Freelander”