Performance upgrade

Land Rover Series vehicles - The golden oldies

Moderator: pretdave

DuncanRuss

Performance upgrade

Postby DuncanRuss » 20 Nov 2014 18:52

Hi All,

I recently sold my 109 S/Wagon and have been very lucky to get myself a SADF Forward Control.
It has a 2.25 engine.

On the Landyonline pages there is an article on performance upgrades, namely Performance Cam, High compression head,
New carb, and free flow exhaust fitted to a new design manifold.

Does any body here have idea's where this work could be done? Bell Trade, Leimer's etc.

Ant info would be greatly appreciated.

Peace

Duncan

JPC

Re: Performance upgrade

Postby JPC » 25 Nov 2014 15:44

Hi Duncan

Your 2.25 head could very well already be high comp, thus 8:1. You will have to inspect the engine itself to determine that though.

ciao

JP

DuncanRuss

Postby DuncanRuss » 25 Nov 2014 17:51

Hi JPC,

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of the upgrades and have never been a fan of "Cams" etc.
I am thinking about the exhaust and carb conversion though.

I'm hoping my FC is a mix of 2A & B, it is registered as rebuilt in 1998.
Mine was a late 66 model, Broken Down. Assume got here for the SADF.
Windows are early 2A, front lights low as per 2B, with convoy lights up front.
I'm praying for ENV diffs....... and a solid gearbox.
Not sure what my top end is going to be, rather slow I'm assuming.

Peace

JPC

Postby JPC » 25 Nov 2014 19:32

All the 2A FCs I've come across in SA have been ENV axled, from 28800025B to 28801025C.

The 2B front on the 2As here is common, as the SADF issued a directive to change the fronts when a 2A comes in for repairs.

The carb conversion has very little effect, and the Weber has its own problems when descending or ascending very steep hills. Most carb "conversions" are done because the carbs are worn and components for reconditioning are unobtanium. If yours have low kms then the carb should be fine, IMHO.

If you still have the original low ratio gearbox, then the 2,25 is really quite adequate when used within the design parameters of the vehicle, and that excludes doing 100kph down the highway fully loaded for a 3 month overland expedition. With the original gearbox you can change from High to Low on the fly...that's for when you completely run out of power in Hi. Your top end should be about 80kph, if you find a deep enough mineshaft to go down. :lol:

Use the truck for what it has been designed, its fun...and often scary.

JPC

Postby JPC » 25 Nov 2014 20:07

If you want to overland, then I would suggest you build something like this on a 110 chassis. I've started collecting the necessary bits for mine as a future project. This one is in SriLanka.

DuncanRuss

Postby DuncanRuss » 26 Nov 2014 09:51

Hi JPC,

An FC on 110..... mmmm where do I sign up?
That is a build I would pay good money for, just saying.

How much would you estimate the cost of doing such a swap?

Nice pic of FC. At the moment I am taking Ideas from my 11yr old son as to what should be on the back.
He seems quite set on an overland body. Will have to see what his final decision is.

Cheers and thanks for the valuable input.

Return to “Land Rover Series I, II, III”