specs for R6 engine

Land Rover Series vehicles - The golden oldies

Moderator: pretdave

jakeslouw

Re: specs for R6 engine

Postby jakeslouw » 04 Jul 2013 10:25

Fair enough mate.

I suggest you guys troll the vintage & veteran car clubs as well for the spares: I think the UK forums would be best.
1962 Series 2A Pickup
Ex: 1984 110 3.5 V8 Pickup
Ex: 1989 110 3.5 V8 County SW

JGP1980

Postby JGP1980 » 07 Jul 2013 20:11

UK SD1 bolts and CAM 2694 are NOT the same bolts. Rover bolts are far shorter and have a completely different thread. I have just received both sets of bolts and was able to make a comparison between the two. If anybody would like asset of CAM 2694 I will let you know where I was able to get them from (in Europe) for 113 GBP for a set of 14. They only have 15 individual bolts left though....

James21

Postby James21 » 09 Jul 2013 15:44

I did a bit more research and it turns out that the UK SD1 was fitted with some type of Triumph engine. I must have got confused by the fact that the SA SD1 was fitted with the R6, my apologies. :? :(
However I did come across something saying that the Austin Princess was fitted with a 2.2l early variant of the R6, apparently the only thing they changed when they put it in the Land rover was crankshaft so that it became a 2.6l.
The cylinder head bolts for the Austin’s engine appear to be readily available through various online parts shops. :D
Don’t go buying them just yet JGP1980, I am going to try and get hold of Tanasia to confirm that this is how he managed to sort his head bolt problem out.

tanisia

Postby tanisia » 10 Jul 2013 13:46

Hi

The R6 landrover head settings for the car engine is 81Nm torque and in the workshop manual for the Landrover engine is 90 nm torque. I would advice take the two settings count them together and divide it by two wich should be around 85 nm torque. The second thing you should do before you torque the head is put some sheleck on the gasket between each piston just where the cylinder walls meet. The cylinder walls are very narrow espesialy on the last two pistons. On the top and bottom of the gasket. It will help that the gasket stay in place and does not burn away or get blown out.

The next thing, very important. After the first head torque drive R1000km and torque again. Critical otherwhise the gasket is going to blow out. Remember these engines were desiged for the 2.2 Austin Princess compression and not for the 2.6 So you have more compression in your engine than it was actualy design for. If you do it right it will work for years. Next thing on the back of the head is a drain hole for the oil that goes back to the sump. Make sure it is not gloged and open. Some of the older engines had a pipe that fed the head oil back into the sump. Make sure that pipe is in its place and are draining the oil back into the sump otherwhise you are going to have oil starvation. It the oil return chanel is blocked take a piece of wire and gently push it throuhg the hole to unclog it.

Last thing, because of the engine desighn the back of the engine has a water jacket that sits between the belhousing and the engine. Make sure that you get a new gasket in there or make a new one. On the Austin the radioator pipes used to come out at the back of the engine, but on the landrover there was no place because your engine sits next to the fire wall so they used the gearbox to blank it of.

The cylinder head bolts are made of high tension steel, so you can use your head bolts again. Just make sure there are no oil or other deposits in the thread before you torque the head. Start torq on the middle of the engine and work your way outwards then left, then right till all headbolts are the correct torque settings.

tanisia

Postby tanisia » 10 Jul 2013 14:10

Hey Jakeslouw. Sorry to be a let down but I'm with James21 on this one at the moment. The R6 in its original form is probably one of the rarer production LRs ever built, and i like the idea that mine is fully original. When I bought it I took on a project. If I had wanted a TDi I probably would have bought one in the first place. That's not to put down your thoughts on a TDi engine.....for most that would probably be the route to take, just not for me. Thanks for the advise James21.
Mine is also in mint condition and like You I want to keep it original as long as posible. There were only 1800 R6 landrovers sold so they are rare and it is a good idea to keep a few in mint condition. I personaly think that there were more pick ups sold than station wagons.

The R6 had the best gearbox ever fitted to a Landrover and they dont realy have problems unless you dont look after them.

jakeslouw

Postby jakeslouw » 10 Jul 2013 14:22

There were also a limited number of M52 2.8 Defenders built (632 Defender 90s and 410 Defender 110s) and people are converting those as well.

So, sorry, but that's not a big argument for keeping them standard. The R6 was not really as iconic as the Australian Isuzu County for instance.
1962 Series 2A Pickup

Serpent

Postby Serpent » 08 Jul 2015 22:35

Really battling with mine: Spent a fortune on my engine :oops: R25000.00.
Everything has been done, bearings, resleeving, skimming, a complete rebuild.
I have been through the copper gasket story twice.
Found a proper gasket on eBay, used it and after 1500kms she has blown a gasket for the third time.
Luckily I bought 2: Will try the schelek route now and see how that pans out.

Tanisia please help! No turning back now.

Jakes Louw touché.

jakeslouw

Postby jakeslouw » 09 Jul 2015 07:32

1962 Series 2A Pickup

Return to “Land Rover Series I, II, III”