Disc 2 TD5 surging whilst accelerating

Land Rover Discovery 1, 2 and 3

Moderator: pretdave

Wizard

Disc 2 TD5 surging whilst accelerating

Postby Wizard » 01 Aug 2015 20:55

Could anyone shed some light on this please?
My automatic 2004 Disco 2 TD5 surges whilst accelerating, almost as though it is constantly changing up and gear, down a gear, up a gear,........
It seems to start around 2500rpm and gets worse the harder I accelerate. If I accelerate gently, it goes through the gears fine.
Many thanks.

pretdave

Re: Disc 2 TD5 surging whilst accelerating

Postby pretdave » 02 Aug 2015 11:40

Disconnect the MAF , try it and report back...
Dave
Defender 130 TD5 2000 GALACTICA
www.clrc.co.za

Wizard

Postby Wizard » 02 Aug 2015 20:01

Hi Dave

Whilst driving up a long hill at half throttle, all was fine, when I accelerated the surging started. I stopped, disconnected the mass air flow meter and the surging continued but this time from pull away. I again stopped, reconnected it and the pull away was fine, but surging continued under hard acceleration.

Regards
Ian
083 414-8240

pretdave

Postby pretdave » 03 Aug 2015 17:53

Thanks...

Possible causes :

Blocked fuel filter.
Fuel pump defective
Turbo waste gate solenoid defective
Delaminating turbo hose.

You need to get a diagnostic test done - mobile not static.

Maybe someone near you can plug his Nanocom or similar and let you drive around the block . Look for turbo boost pressure surges ....

Dave
www.clrc.co.za

Wizard

Postby Wizard » 03 Aug 2015 20:16

Hi Dave

I have changed the solenoid on the wastegate and what a difference, it seems it has been deteriorating slowly for some time.

The surging has gone, and so has the screech that was coming from the wastegate. The wastegate was over pressurising and the management system was stepping in to protect the turbo. It's almost going as well as my D4D.......

Thanks for the advice.
Ian

pretdave

Postby pretdave » 04 Aug 2015 09:19

Thanks for the feedback Ian .
I am sorry that the TD5 is still not performing better than the D4D - so keep looking ... LOL...

Cheers
Dave
www.clrc.co.za

Wizard

Postby Wizard » 09 Aug 2015 18:47

Hi Dave

Surging still sorted, however, the next problem. Was driving up a steep rough hill and the traction control was occasionally working. At one point I stopped and the dreaded three gongs chimed and the three amigos lit up AS WELL AS THE HANDBRAKE LIGHT.

Switched on and off but they all relit. Got back to camp and checked the brake fluid, brake lights and handbrake switch. All appear ok, but lights continue to burn. Am used to the 3 amigos, but am concerned with the HB light. Any ideas? A diagnostic check would help but the only people with these devices that I know of are a long way from Fish Hoek and difficult for me to get to.

Thanks Ian

pretdave

Postby pretdave » 10 Aug 2015 14:05

First thing to check is the level of brake fluid. HB and uphill combination suggests a level problem - and IIRC brake fluid level low generates a HB warning light.
I am in Tokai - so if you would like to call some time let me know when and we can use my Nanocom . Diagnostics dont always pinpoint an error but often give a good clue.

I suspect 3 amigos and HB light are just coincidence.

3 amigos usually associated with an earthing problem at the modulator or a wheel speed sensor dirty /defective.

Cheers
Dave
www.clrc.co.za

Return to “Discovery”