Disco 3 - Crank Shaft Snapped

Land Rover Discovery 1, 2 and 3

Moderator: pretdave

Seiffoh

Disco 3 - Crank Shaft Snapped

Postby Seiffoh » 03 May 2012 12:26

I need some assistance !!!!

Two weeks ago I had an unfortunate breakdown of my Discovery 3 that has left me quite perturbed.

I was driving under normal conditions on the N4 highway at 120km / h towards Rustenburg when the car gave a shudder, the control panel showed “Engine System Failure” and then the car just cut out.

I had the vehicle towed to Landrover Rustenburg and after their examination they indicated the they suspected a cam belt failure. I had the cam belts replaced only 10 000 km before. I then had the vehicle towed to British 4 x 4 and asked them to open the engine only when I was present. This they did and we found that both the cam belts and pullies were intact and in perfect condition. They then examined the vehicle further and diagnosed that the craft shaft had snapped.

I then instructed them to take the engine out so that I can see if indeed it was the crank shaft. This they completed, and clearly the shaft did snap.

My vehicle has never been under any extreme conditions and is used mainly in city conditions with a few dirt roads for good measure. It has never experiences any extensive 4 x 4 trails.

My vehicle has also been serviced on time through Landrover and has a complete service record. The car is now outside its maintance plan and the current OD reading is +/-176 000 km.

I have also done some homework in the meantime and spoken to a number of Landrover technicians and mechanics. They all had the same surprised response and it would seem as if it could only have been a manufacturing defect. I am however not a mechanic and need to rely of the expertise of others.

I have lodged the breakdown with Landrover SA but till date have not indicated any assistance. I truly believe that a Discovery 3 having done 176 000 km should not have a crank shaft replacement as a norm.

I would appreciate any advice and if this is a normal problem with the Disco 3.

Regards
Jacobus Hoffman

naks

Re: Disco 3 - Crank Shaft Snapped

Postby naks » 07 May 2012 10:04

I have lodged the breakdown with Landrover SA but till date have not indicated any assistance. I truly believe that a Discovery 3 having done 176 000 km should not have a crank shaft replacement as a norm.
Jacobus,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

IMHO crankshaft should not be failing at only 176,000km, that is definitely weird. As the mechs said, it could be a manufacturing defect.

Have you heard anything from LRSA yet?
--
2010 LR Defender Puma 90

Seiffoh

Postby Seiffoh » 07 May 2012 10:46

LR have been giving me the run around.

I am trying to get a tecnical evaluation done by them but they are either very slow or just not interested.

naks

Postby naks » 07 May 2012 10:53

LR have been giving me the run around. I am trying to get a tecnical evaluation done by them but they are either very slow or just not interested.
They are prone to doing that.

Have you been dealing with the LRSA customer service people? Their email is crcza@jaguarlandrover.com

Make it very clear that should your concerns not be addressed within (insert specific timeframe), you will be resorting to legal recourse. Thereafter, if you have a lawyer friend, get him/her to draft a nice letter telling LRSA to get their sh*t together of face a lawsuit.
--
2010 LR Defender Puma 90

hgb-560sel

Postby hgb-560sel » 29 May 2012 08:25

Hi Seiffoh

most probably your engine suffered from oil starvation due to sludge build up in the oil channels. This type of incidence is becoming very common due to the 24000km service intervals LR dictated for the D3.

You have joined an ever growing line of victims of this mishap. I wonder how long it will take before someone is going to initiate a class action lawsuit.

Our D3 is now on 180'000km, and an oil analysis showed wear symptoms way below the norm. Oil change services were done every 8000 - 10000km and the condition of the engine proves this.

For those of you who want to prevent such a mishap, go to Landyworx and ask them to do an oil analysis. That will then determine, if the sump has to come off for cleaning out and removing sludge build up, BEFORE you could be faced with a R100'000.00 repair bill.
with kind regards
George

2003 RR Vogue Td6
2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S
1955 MB 300SL W198/I
1988 MB 500SL R107
1991 MB 500SL R129
2001 MB SLK 32 AMG
1954 Rolls Silver Dawn (Countryman Saloon)
1958 Porsche 356A Coupé
1979 VW Beetle Cabrio (Karmann)

Seiffoh

Postby Seiffoh » 11 Sep 2014 11:39

Yes - so the latest ---- LR did not assist at all. After various emails and telephone calls. They were just not interested.

I had to pay and pay and pay to get it sorted. No assistance form LR.

I must say British 4 x 4 did a great job and was very accommodating.

hgb-560sel

Postby hgb-560sel » 12 Sep 2014 07:42

Hi Seiffoh

search on the 4x4community forum for the Topix section on:

TDV6 - D3

TDV6 and SDV6 - D4 !!!!!!!

RR Sport and RR big body TDV6 AND TDV8

It relates to big end bearings rotating and subsequent engine failure.

It also happens to Jaguar motors, i.e. those motors built at the Dagenham plant.

I have assisted Peter Street from Landyworx and together with André from an motor engineering company we have come up with:

1. A preventative treatment for this mishap, provided the bearings have not yet started to rotate

2. A fix with tabbed big end and main bearings which will prevent this ever happening again. this is only applicable during a sub assembly rebuild.

Once the initial batch of rebuilt engines (including TDV8's) have done 10'000km we will make the whole process and all findings available in the 4x4 community forum.
with kind regards
George

2003 RR Vogue Td6
2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S
1955 MB 300SL W198/I
1988 MB 500SL R107
1991 MB 500SL R129
2001 MB SLK 32 AMG
1954 Rolls Silver Dawn (Countryman Saloon)
1958 Porsche 356A Coupé
1979 VW Beetle Cabrio (Karmann)

disco boy

Postby disco boy » 11 Feb 2015 18:08

Hello Peter and George. Another possible crank failure. My son in law, Lyle has a 2008 Disco 3 TDV6 which , together with mine, we service every 10 000 km. Always oil , the recommended Castrol 5W 30 and filter and every other service, fuel and air filters. His has done 200 000 km and has had the cam belt changed around 175 000.
Yesterday he arrived home and on the driveway there was this loud clacking so he switched off. Today I asked him to start it and at first it sounded fine then a slight metallic tappet -like noise was heard. I suggested he drive it s l o w l y to our nearest Landy people, LMC on the East Rand. Just as he got to them ± 10 km the thing just seized up solid.
We couldn't get to Landyworx because we are other side of Benoni ± 60 odd km.
Does this sound familiar ? I know its not a fair question but thought you might have an idea from your experiences to date. We will strip 'til we find the problem then look for the cause.
Cheers, Neil Whitehead

Return to “Discovery”