Considering Disco3

Land Rover Discovery 1, 2 and 3

Moderator: pretdave

johanvanrensburg

Considering Disco3

Postby johanvanrensburg » 22 May 2011 15:11

I’ve been driving a Disco 1 V8 ES auto (1996 model) for the past 10 years. It is generally a lovely vehicle, but reliability and built quality is problematic. It is time to move on – but where to?

My wife is adamant that a Prado is the way to go – due to reliability issues with Land Rover, and suggests my preference for Land Rover is purely emotional! I think she’s right :) .

I am considering a Prado 3.0 diesel, Disco 3 TDV6, or perhaps the Disco 3 V6. Although I love petrol engines, the fuel consumption and especially range is problematic. My current V8 seldom reaches 450km on a tank.

It is obvious that the Disco 3 is a much improved vehicle – but how reliable is it exactly? I hear that when things go wrong, it can be costly. In my opinion there are 2 factors to consider:
1. Cost of maintenance
2. Probability of getting stuck with a problem.
The cost of maintenance is not the most critical factor – if an expense is expected, such as cam belt on 150000km at R15k, then it can be planned and budgeted for. The cost differential between a 2nd hand Prado and Disco 3 is such that there is a healthy budget left for maintenance on the Disco (at least R50k price differential it seems). It is the unexpected misfortune that worries me. What is the chance of getting stuck somewhere in Botswana with a Disco 3? I am not technically oriented, and require a vehicle that can take me places and back again without hiccups – I’ll have the maintenance done by the experts in between.

How many Disco 3 owners are out there who have had absolute trouble free service from there vehicles? Is “trouble free” and “Land Rover” realistically usable in the same sentence?

Is the V6 more reliable than the TDV6?

How bad is the turbolag on the TDV6?

What is the typical cost of maintaining a Disco 3 compared to Disco 1?

Are there any known issues to look out for on the Disco 3?

Is it true that the TDV6 offfers only 1 km/l more than the V6?

I would appreciate any feedback on owner experience, maintenance cost and problems experienced with Disco 3’s.

From a Not so Faithful Land Rover enthusiast.
Johan
Disco 1 V8 ES 1996

George

Re: Considering Disco3

Postby George » 23 May 2011 08:31

Hi Johan, below some answers to some of your questions. In general a D3 is a lovely vehicle and not in the same league as any previous Land Rover. You mention "..due to reliability issues with Land Rover.." - this is no more and as gone as a low tech landy ;)

Is the V6 more reliable than the TDV6? Difficult to say if - both are reliable

How bad is the turbolag on the TDV6? No problem at all

What is the typical cost of maintaining a Disco 3 compared to Disco 1? After having mine D3 for almost a year, the only cost to date was a big service @ R3000. Pretty standard

Are there any known issues to look out for on the Disco 3? Some smallish issues, earlier models had an issue with diffs, but no major design flaws or fixed weaknesses.

Is it true that the TDV6 offers only 1 km/l more than the V6? Not really - depends on how you drive and comparing apples to apples. Tdv6 gives on average (town and open road) 9km/l
2012 LR Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
2011 LR Defender 90
2014 Jurgens Xplorer

George

Postby George » 23 May 2011 08:31

Hi Johan, below some answers to some of your questions. In general a D3 is a lovely vehicle and not in the same league as any previous Land Rover. You mention "..due to reliability issues with Land Rover.." - this is no more and as gone as a low tech landy ;)

Is the V6 more reliable than the TDV6? Difficult to say - both are reliable

How bad is the turbolag on the TDV6? No problem at all

What is the typical cost of maintaining a Disco 3 compared to Disco 1? After having mine for almost a year, the only cost to date was a big service @ R3000. Pretty standard

Are there any known issues to look out for on the Disco 3? Some smallish issues, earlier models had an issue with diffs, but no major design flaws or fixed weaknesses.

Is it true that the TDV6 offers only 1 km/l more than the V6? Not really - depends on how you drive and comparing apples to apples. Tdv6 gives on average (town and open road) 9km/l. Colleague of mine has a V6 and gets around 6.5km/l which is pretty much similar to the V8. If you however race a Tdv6 consumption will go down to 7km/l
2012 LR Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
2011 LR Defender 90
2014 Jurgens Xplorer

johanvanrensburg

Postby johanvanrensburg » 24 May 2011 22:49

Hi George

Thanks for your guidance - nice to hear from a D3 owner. I have heard about the diff problem. Glad to hear it was resolved. Any other D3 owners with diff issues?

Is the V6 not the "lowest tech" D3 around? And thus possibly less risk? Pitty about the fuel consumption - range is a problem then.

Johan
Johan
Disco 1 V8 ES 1996

hgb-560sel

Postby hgb-560sel » 25 May 2011 06:29

Hi Johan

I run both a Disco1 ES 300Tdi and a Disco3 TDV6 S. As a car for everyday use and the occasional trip into the bundus, the Disco3 has no equals in this regard.

I specifically went for a pre-"7A" model, for a variety of reasons. The pre-"7A" TDV6 S has not got a particle filter, EGR and cat can be removed without funny ligths coming on in the dashboard. The diff "problem" resulted from a coating applied by the factory to the interior of the diff housing. This used to flake off and caused a diff whine. Accoustic nuisance, but would not cause a failure. This problem normally surfaced between 70000-90000km. So if you buy a car with about 150'000km on the clock you can rest assured, that most of these problems have been fixed.

I have removed the cat and the EGR on both my Discos. This makes a significant difference to the fuel economy.

Without a roof rack fitted, fuel consumption on the TDV6 is about 11litres per 100km on the long haul, giving a range of about 650km. With a remap from torquetune in Midrand, the same system that Bell Autoservices in the UK use, the range goes to about 850km per tank. Our TDV6 in town returns about 11.5lt/100km which is VERY GOOD for a vehicle with a tare weight of over 2.5 tons.

So to sum up, the Disco3 is much better and much much more refined for everyday use. For the really heavy stuff, the Disco1 if fitted with diff locks front and rear (like mine) is equally as capable and much cheaper to fix if something breaks when overdoing it in the offroads.

Our Disco has seen its fair share of Botwana, Zim, Namibia etc with its previous owners and has only once dropped them in Botswana, when they got stuck with a worn out CRD system (needed new CRD high pressure pump and new injectors). But this like on any diesel could have been prevented by the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel (0.5lt per 100 litres or 0.5% by volume.)

So take the plunge and go for that TDV6. If the cambelts haven't been done, then push them down on the price.

Here a pic of our TDV6 8-)

with kind regards
George

2003 RR Vogue Td6
2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S
1955 MB 300SL W198/I
1988 MB 500SL R107
1991 MB 500SL R129
2001 MB SLK 32 AMG
1954 Rolls Silver Dawn (Countryman Saloon)
1958 Porsche 356A Coupé
1979 VW Beetle Cabrio (Karmann)

marius.beyers

Postby marius.beyers » 13 Mar 2012 11:04

Hi George

You seem quite knowledgeable in this regard - how do I know if my 2006 TDV6 has the coated diff with the whine - mine has done 74K and has (duly?) started to whine.
I'm just scared that the problem might be bigger than just the audible.

Please advise

Regards
Marius Beyers
2006 D3 TDV6 HSE

naks

Postby naks » 13 Mar 2012 11:10

You seem quite knowledgeable in this regard - how do I know if my 2006 TDV6 has the coated diff with the whine - mine has done 74K and has (duly?) started to whine. I'm just scared that the problem might be bigger than just the audible.
AFAIK, there are two ways:

1. Go to a stealer and get them to check your VIN against the faulty diff list
2. Open the diff (use an indie)
--
2010 LR Defender Puma 90

Benson

Postby Benson » 13 Mar 2012 15:08

I have a TDV6 and I have a major issue with mine after doing a 4780km Nambia trip this past two weeks. I think I now love it more than I love my wife!! the whole 4780km I did not here the D3 complain once about anything. got an average for the whole trip, 1000km tar the rest gravel (and good hard corrugated vehicle driver testing gravel) 9.2l/100km. got her down to 7.8l/100 on some stretches.

This is the BEST car I have ever driven and I will only replace her the day I can afford the D4!!

corrugated gravel roads feels no different than a normal tar road, and with this I mean she drives just as nice as on tar!!
One life hey, so live it, the Landy way!!
1997 110 Hardtop 300Tdi

blesbok

Postby blesbok » 13 Mar 2012 17:45

I have a 2005 D3 TDv6 HSE. Currently 160000km on the clock. Bought used 3 years ago from a quack who used it as a work car. (he did 90000km tar road in town). I live in the sticks in the East Cape 40km from any tar road. I use the car for in and around the district and long hauling. Its a great car, very comfortable and all the bells and whistles you need. 50% off road, 50% highway. I have a Cruiser so I don't use it in the bush, it is my car and to be honest I think that is what it was designed for. If you want to do the path-finding thing, go buy a Cruiser / LR defender. D3 is more refined.
I keep accurate fuel log, between 8.5 - 9.5 km per liter. (Diesel Cruiser does between 6-7 km per liter)
Service I do myself, Filters from Auto Zone, oil R180, Fuel R400, Air cleaner R150, oil Shell R6, fully synthetic about R300 per 5 liter, not a big deal same as all other cars. Its a simple job. To check diffs and gearbox, simple. Brake linings R500 front and R500 rear, simple job, same as all cars. Oil service takes 60 minutes, major service 120 minutes. Fuel filter is uncomfortable to change but no big deal. Electric "diesel bleed" system, simple job.
At 160000km I had both timing belts changed, turbo sensor, fuel temp sensor and vacuum sensor changed as well as steering column coupling changed, R12000. (Supertune, Bloem)
Service and parts are similar to all other cars, get a quote from the agents and then buy online (Landy Parts) or your non agent service center can help. No more or no less than any other make.
The Car.
Quality of the body build is great,
Quality of the components is good. (power steering, turbo, exhaust, shocks etc, all good.)
Quality of bells and whistles is good (telephone, radio, cd, heater, air con, central locking, etc, all good)
Tyres, limited, the HSE uses 18" rims and availability of different application to highway only is not so good. (Bridgstone highway type R2500-R3000 each, expensive in my language), No hassles on gravel roads, I have done 40000km and no punctures to date.
Quality of engine mapping computer, sensors , uum, not so good!. at 160000km I have had to replace maybe to many components / sensors. (compared to Toyota D4D, BMW 7, BMW 530d, MB180k and MB200k). And these parts are expensive, mostly dealer only. When the are faulty they irritate the hell out of you and not so easy to pin point.
I have had hassles which are sort of resolved but most people that have D3's and that I speak too have experienced none of my irritations I have dealt with.

Whats the bottom line, buy the D3 cheap (below book) and bargain on some small irritations, no insurmountable problems, You will enjoy it much more than the Prado, and buy diesel. (I had a petrol Cruiser, 3-5 km per liter).
Its a great car and used D3's are cheap for what you get. Learn to work on the car yourself, you will enjoy it.
Keep us posted.

FrancoisSauer

Postby FrancoisSauer » 01 May 2013 17:15

I bought a Discorvery 3 HSE 2005, when I switched on the radio, it turns on but there is no sound (yes I did turn up the volume). The same with the navigation system. It works but no sound. What can the problem be. I took it back to the garage I bouth it from - they are looking into the problem. Please assist

Return to “Discovery”