DEFENDER 90 300Tdi - Fumes in cabin

Land Rover Defender, 90, 110, 127 130

Moderator: pretdave

w507

DEFENDER 90 300Tdi - Fumes in cabin

Postby w507 » 17 Apr 2015 10:04

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 1997 90 300Tdi - she's generally in good nic with 166,000 km on the clock a nice looking engine bay, chassis etc... but when driving as little as 4km invisible fumes will enter the cabin and make anyone quite dizzy.

I have gone through the engine bay, replaced a worn breather pipe and Intercooler/Turbo elbow pipe with a hole, P gasket, some oil o-rings around the oil filter assembly, added madman ems, suspension, rear door lock and got rid of some rust. Everything else looks good. Couple minor of oil leaks - one from the waxstat adapter and one from the rear of the sump at the join. The oil cap does appear to 'dance' a little. No smoke beyond a second or two of white at start-up and a nice idle. Engine pulls well and she cruises nicely on the highway.

Have you got any advice or ideas on where to look for the problem? I have had a quick look at the exhaust and it seems fine. Will stuff a rag in it and check this weekend as well.

It's almost impossible to drive her at the moment!

Thanks!

w507

Re: DEFENDER 90 300Tdi - Fumes in cabin

Postby w507 » 20 Apr 2015 12:48

Leak at the rear exhaust joint. Suspect this is the issue

w507

Postby w507 » 07 May 2015 09:57

Anyone got any ideas on this? I have repaired the leak at the rear joint and even changed the exit angle of the exhaust so it points out and down. Still as bad as ever - she's barely driveable!

I am starting to think of engine blow-by - missing breather hoses / plugs etc... is there anywhere obvious I should look?

w507

Postby w507 » 04 Jun 2015 15:51

So, have stripped pretty much everything likely thus far:
All breathers
Oil cyclone (O-ring replaced)
Intercooler (tested for leaks)
All Intercooler pipes (two leaks found)
Inlet and Exhaust manifold (previous owner had used a short bolt - so leaking at the inlet!)
New gaskets for above

I still get fumes, although fewer... I have two obvious leaks at the exhaust manifold branches, according to google this is 'Normal' - my question to the forum, is there any way to split the manifold apart and seal these leaks?? How are the left and right branches fitted to the manifold?

Any response welcome.

w507

Postby w507 » 11 Jun 2015 15:29

This is weird, feel like I'm the only one on this forum - replying (to my own posts!?) I keep doing it In the event that anyone else has a similar problem and needs assistance like I do.

Anyway, here is the next instalment. I just drove the car for 5 min and got light-headed, so all of the fixes thus far have not addressed the problem. I cannot smell anything and by the rapid onset of the symptoms it appears to be Carbon Monoxide and therefore, I suspect, some kind of blow-by. I have some test stickers coming I hope (the kind used in aircraft).

As of now I have done the following:
- sealed the entire cabin with duct tape
-re-done the foam seals under the seats
- sealed all doors (including the back)
- blocked the heater vents
-inspected sealing around transmission tunnel
- gone over every inch of the exhaust with a rag stuck in it looking for leaks
- changed the outlet angle on the exhaust
-removed the rear exhaust joint behind the silencer
-fitted a gasket and sealant to the header to manifold joint -no evidence of leaks
-new exhaust/inlet manifold gasket with sealant as well
- sealed the exhaust branches (after finding slight blowing)
- replaced all the turbo pipes
-sealed the turbo pipe joints
-replaced the oil cyclone o-ring
-re-seated the injectors with new washers in case it was vapourised leaked diesel I was smelling
-checked and re-clamped all breathers
-removed, tested and cleaned the intercooler
- replaced the oil cap to prevent possible blow-by

Does anyone have any other advice about where I might be getting engine blow-by or exhaust coming into the cabin? The vehicle is completely impossible to use in this state!

Can it come out of the crank case or sump anywhere I haven't looked yet??

My next steps will be:
-disconnect breathers from turbo system and temporarily route somewhere outside the car and away from any possible vacuum created in the cabin
-replace the exhaust clamp joint under the passenger seat (even though I find no evidence of a leak there at all)
- replace the Fuel sender seal and locking ring in case diesel fumes are responsible.

After that, I don't know what to do. sell the vehicle to someone who might still buy it I guess.

GM Disco2

Postby GM Disco2 » 22 Jun 2015 20:25

Hi There,
I understand your frustration, I have exact same issue, but on my Discovery II, and mine is a petrol V8, so you van just imagine, it makes me sick and nauseas.
I have not gone into all the trouble you have, but what I have noted if my air-con is switched on, it is better, probably because it highers the cabin pressure inside and drives the fumes out.
I agree with you - to resolve sell it to someone else, I'm also on the point that I just want to get rid of my Disco, just and endless amount of money to keep it going.
By a Toyota, far less issues, hahha

@landy

Postby @landy » 27 Jun 2015 13:26

Hi w507,
You must so frustrated that you are ready for the lighter side of your problem. Look around and see how defender owners drive...... Window open and elbow out. Maybe that's why we haven't picked it up yet. :lol:

On a more serious note, just you know that I am thinking about your problem, but for now don't have a solution. Will let you know as soon as.....

Strongs
Theo.

w507

Postby w507 » 04 Apr 2017 22:36

Just to cap off this thread for anyone else with the same problems I had. The answer, as in so many issues with vehicles, was multiple problems.

There were leaks in the intercooler pipes +/- 10% of the problem.
The main issue was fumes coming out of the joins in the exhaust branches. I took it off, plugged them with high temp gunk and the problem was gone.

jakeslouw

Postby jakeslouw » 05 Apr 2017 07:02

Maybe try a more popular forum next time.

This comes to mind:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/for ... Land-Rover

You'd have received thousands of opinions and quite a bit of help.
1962 Series 2A Pickup
Ex: 1984 110 3.5 V8 Pickup
Ex: 1989 110 3.5 V8 County SW

w507

Postby w507 » 05 Apr 2017 14:09

Maybe try a more popular forum next time.

This comes to mind:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/for ... Land-Rover

You'd have received thousands of opinions and quite a bit of help.

Luckily all sorted out and I now know my vehicle back to front and inside out.

Return to “Defender”