Land Rover Defender, 90, 110, 127 130

Moderator: pretdave

jonosav
Landy antispam question: most definitely not
Landy has how any wheels?: 4

Defender Brake Squeal!!!

Postby jonosav » 10 Mar 2014 13:53

Hi Guys

My td5 130 has developed a terrible squeal when you depress the brake pedal. We have had all 4 brake pads replaced and still the noise persists. I have been told to use copperslip between the cylinder and back of the pads as well as grind the pad edges to a 45 degree angle. I have not done this as yet. Any advice?

The landy has also developed a strange noise when one initially takes off, sounds to me like the clutch plate is slipping, no loss in power but irritating.Any Advice?

Thanks

Jono
2007 Defender 130 Td5

@landy

Re: Defender Brake Squeal!!!

Postby @landy » 17 Mar 2014 17:46

Hi Jono,
On the firs question. 1. Gind those pads 45 deg. 2. Put a thinnish layer of Red Devil gasket maker on the back of pads and let dry completely before installing. That should rectify the noise.

Secondly, that slipping feeling.....Have your side shafts checked for a crack around the edge around the hubs. It can be welded.

Regards
Theo :)

willie

Postby willie » 19 Mar 2014 07:57

Hello @landy
Squeal = "high frequency vibration"
Yes grinding a leading edge on the edges of the brake pads can help.
I have naver had to because of the quality pads I buy.
What are the surfaces of the discs like? Are they glazed or burnt blue,if so replace or, skim as the cheaper option.( check min.safe dimensions)
Yes copper slip on the back of the brake pads can help with vibration and squeals.
the brake pads I have bought from Dover parts and other sellers have a anti vibration material bonded on to the back surface of the pads as standard, some cheaper brake pads do not have this as a standard feature.
Next thing I would check is the anti rattle springs that hold the pads in place.
Always use Best quality brake pads.
Regards
Willie

jonosav

Postby jonosav » 19 Mar 2014 10:34

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I will grind the discs etc and let you know. Much appreciated!

Jono
2007 Defender 130 Td5

Greg_E

Postby Greg_E » 09 Apr 2014 11:27

Go to the old CBS (Clutch and Brakle Supplies) or Tritorq/Ferrobrake as they are now called. Buy brake disc backing (3M product). It'll cost around R80. Stick the backing onto your rear brake pads. I added some aluminium flashing to the between the caliper piston and the brake pad to make the "pad backing material last longer. It worked for me.

PS: My defender did not have the anti squeal backing plates that come with the OE rear brake pads.

Good luck

Greg
Aspiring Landrover fan.
2001 Defender TD5

@landy

Postby @landy » 14 Apr 2014 19:26

willie wrote:Hello @landy
Squeal = "high frequency vibration"
Yes grinding a leading edge on the edges of the brake pads can help.
I have naver had to because of the quality pads I buy.
What are the surfaces of the discs like? Are they glazed or burnt blue,if so replace or, skim as the cheaper option.( check min.safe dimensions)
Yes copper slip on the back of the brake pads can help with vibration and squeals.
the brake pads I have bought from Dover parts and other sellers have a anti vibration material bonded on to the back surface of the pads as standard, some cheaper brake pads do not have this as a standard feature.
Next thing I would check is the anti rattle springs that hold the pads in place.
Always use Best quality brake pads.
Regards
Willie

Hi Willie,
Read my post reply carefully. There is no mention of copper slip!!! Red Devil gasket maker is something completely different.
Theo.

jimattrill

Postby jimattrill » 19 Apr 2014 16:18

Do NOT grind the discs on a Defender. If you read the manual there is not much of a difference between the size of new discs and the minimum allowed. Any grinding will take the discs out of tolerance. IIRC (without looking it up) the front ventilated discs are 24mm new and 22mm scrap. Same relative sizes for the rears.
Image Visit our website at http://landyonline.co.za

Return to “Defender”