Defender Fuel Pump

Land Rover Defender, 90, 110, 127 130

Moderator: pretdave

Camdini
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Jul 2010 10:13
Landy antispam question: most definitely not
Landy has how any wheels?: 4

Defender Fuel Pump

Postby Camdini » 21 Jul 2010 10:23

I have heard that one can install a generic fuel pump outside the tank thus saving considerable money. Is this correct? Also my Defender TD5 with 120k seems to have a failing pump. When travelling slowly no problem then at speed and uphills there is a temporary loss of power and one can hear the change in the engine noise but revs stay the same. Is this the fuel pump packing in?http://landyonline.co.za/landyforum/posting.php?mode=post&f=5#
Defender 110 TD5 2000

Camdini
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Jul 2010 10:13
Landy antispam question: most definitely not
Landy has how any wheels?: 4

Re: Defender Fuel Pump

Postby Camdini » 22 Jul 2010 15:12

27 views and not one response?? Maybe I have to reword the query??
Defender 110 TD5 2000

camelman
Posts: 245
Joined: 20 Aug 2007 09:13

Re: Defender Fuel Pump

Postby camelman » 22 Jul 2010 16:18

OK, I'll give it a try with my limited knowledge :roll: I have not heard about the outside fuel pump, but take it with a pinch of salt, better get the real stuff. That is, if it is the fuel pump. 120k km sounds a bit on the short side for a fuel pump to go, better have the car checked on a diagnostic computer, with fuel pressure test. Have you checked the red plug on the ECU for oil contamination?
camelman
'95 Discovery V8i Auto (now sadly sold, with fond memories)
'04 Discovery Td5 GS

hugh101
Posts: 27
Joined: 02 Jul 2009 11:28

Re: Defender Fuel Pump

Postby hugh101 » 23 Jul 2010 00:00

I have not heard about a pump outside either, but 120000km is about the lifespan, mine gave in at 130000km
a recon pump is gonna set you back about 4k and a new one around 7k
goodluck
DEFENDER 90 2004 TD5

User avatar
pretdave
Posts: 1392
Joined: 28 Jun 2007 20:53
Landy antispam question: most definitely not
Landy has how any wheels?: 4
Location: Tokai , Cape Town
Contact:

Re: Defender Fuel Pump

Postby pretdave » 23 Jul 2010 06:15

hugh101 wrote:I have not heard about a pump outside either, but 120000km is about the lifespan, mine gave in at 130000km
a recon pump is gonna set you back about 4k and a new one around 7k
goodluck


Prices are not that bad . I have just replaced my Disco pump for R3000.
There is a company in Pinetown offering new pumps for less than R2000. I cant comment on quality.
Just look around .....
Dave
Defender 130 TD5 2000 GALACTICA
www.clrc.co.za

johan grbler
Posts: 271
Joined: 07 Nov 2009 14:20
Landy antispam question: most definitely not
Landy has how any wheels?: 4

Re: Defender Fuel Pump

Postby johan grbler » 23 Jul 2010 07:17

there was a similar thread on this forum around march, in that there was a pump for around R1500 new. Normally the pump becomes noisy so you would hear it. Maybe it is sucking air somewhere??
D90 2.8 1999
Wish list V8i D90 auto soft top (please Santa)

Camdini
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Jul 2010 10:13
Landy antispam question: most definitely not
Landy has how any wheels?: 4

Re: Defender Fuel Pump

Postby Camdini » 23 Jul 2010 11:13

Thanks all. Yes my first thought is that I thought it was sucking in air, but how to find that one? I will also check the red plug for oil on the ECU this weekend. By the way what does the pump sound like when it is packing in does it make quite a racket? Mine makes a high whining noise when ignition is turned on but then even when new it made a whine not sure if it got louder or me deafer? R7k for a new pump that is scary!!
Defender 110 TD5 2000

User avatar
pretdave
Posts: 1392
Joined: 28 Jun 2007 20:53
Landy antispam question: most definitely not
Landy has how any wheels?: 4
Location: Tokai , Cape Town
Contact:

Re: Defender Fuel Pump

Postby pretdave » 23 Jul 2010 17:14

Camdini wrote:Thanks all. Yes my first thought is that I thought it was sucking in air, but how to find that one? I will also check the red plug for oil on the ECU this weekend. By the way what does the pump sound like when it is packing in does it make quite a racket? Mine makes a high whining noise when ignition is turned on but then even when new it made a whine not sure if it got louder or me deafer? R7k for a new pump that is scary!!


The only time the pump will suck air is when the tank runs empty.Unlike the Tdi , the Td5 has a submerged internal pump and anything downstream of the pump is then at a pressure higher than atmosphere - it will leak diesel , but it wont suck air.
A noisy pump is an indication of something not quite right - so it can stop any time.
A quiet pump has a better prognosis - but it can also stop anytime....
You dont say where you live....

Dave
Defender 130 TD5 2000 GALACTICA
www.clrc.co.za

johan grbler
Posts: 271
Joined: 07 Nov 2009 14:20
Landy antispam question: most definitely not
Landy has how any wheels?: 4

Re: Defender Fuel Pump

Postby johan grbler » 23 Jul 2010 18:35

indeed the pressure thing makes sense, the whine is normal.
D90 2.8 1999
Wish list V8i D90 auto soft top (please Santa)

Camdini
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Jul 2010 10:13
Landy antispam question: most definitely not
Landy has how any wheels?: 4

Re: Defender Fuel Pump

Postby Camdini » 26 Jul 2010 12:26

pretdave wrote:
The only time the pump will suck air is when the tank runs empty.Unlike the Tdi , the Td5 has a submerged internal pump and anything downstream of the pump is then at a pressure higher than atmosphere - it will leak diesel , but it wont suck air.
A noisy pump is an indication of something not quite right - so it can stop any time.
A quiet pump has a better prognosis - but it can also stop anytime....
You dont say where you live....

Dave


Thanks Dave, yes I should imagine that a very quiet pump has died :-)
This one whines and I am sure it sounds similar to when new. But that was 10 years ago when I bought the landy?
I live in Grahamstown

Camelman I checked the red plug on the ECU, no oil and strangely enough not that much dust either compared to rest of the interior!

So to new pump or not?
Defender 110 TD5 2000


Return to “Defender”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest