General disccussions on Land Rovers in Africa

Moderator: pretdave

Riaan@
Landy antispam question: most definitely not
Landy has how any wheels?: 4

Landy conversion

Postby Riaan@ » 21 Sep 2015 19:08

Hi Guys

Complete newby here. With lots of questions. Can I do a Lexus V8 conversion on a Land Rover Defender? What model (preferably older model) should I look for? Who can do a decent job and how much will it cost? Would love for it to still be 4x4 but its not a train smash if its not possible.

I want something rugged looking and reliable with at least 7 seats for city use and long haul from Pretoria to Windhoek or just bundu bashing and must be able to pull a 4x4 XT120 Jurgens trailer. My thinking is the Lexus engine will make it more economical don't know if I'm aiming for the stars here.

Any and all suggestions are welcome

Regards

Riaan

pretdave

Re: Landy conversion

Postby pretdave » 22 Sep 2015 06:01

Hi Riaan
I believe that quite a few Defenders have been fitted with a Lexus V8 . My own personal view is that it is an interesting conversion and could be fun as a hobby.
But I dont think that " conversion" and " reliability " belong in the same sentence . You will spend years modifying and adapting the new engine , and still not have a reliable vehicle --- think of things like cooling , transmission , exhaust systems And then also what happens when on the long haul to Windhoek the car gives problems . Land experts wont touch it , nor will Lexus experts.

I invite alternative opinions - please dont hesitate - this is a discussion forum .

Regards
Dave
Defender 130 TD5 2000 GALACTICA
www.clrc.co.za

Riaan@

Re: Landy conversion

Postby Riaan@ » 22 Sep 2015 18:38

Thank you Dave

So it is better to just stay original as far as possible

Regards