General disccussions on Land Rovers in Africa

Moderator: pretdave

Walker
Landy antispam question: I think so
Landy has how any wheels?: 4

Discovery 3

Postby Walker » 15 Jul 2015 08:12

Hi Everyone,
Please can someone help,,, I am retiring soon, my wife and I want to start caravanning, the caravan that we will be buying is a Jurgens Exclusive, I know it is huge but we like our space. I was told that one of the best vehicles to tow the caravan is a Discovery diesel. On the other hand I have been told that the EPB and the air suspension give lots of problems. I will not be buying a new Discovery and hope to get a Discover 3 at a reasonable price. What must I look out for and what is the fuel consumption like.
Can someone please help.
Regards,
Charles Walker

pretdave
Landy antispam question: most definitely not

Re: Discovery 3

Postby pretdave » 15 Jul 2015 09:36

My opinion : The only better tow vehicle than a D3 is a D4 . They are outstanding.

But... the TDV6 in the D3 and to a lesser extent the D4 has shown a problem with bearings /crankshaft that has troubled too many owners - especially around the 170 000 km mark. So unless you can buy a good extended warranty that will cover a new engine (R100 000 plus) , dont go there.

Regards
Dave
Defender 130 TD5 2000 GALACTICA
www.clrc.co.za

Walker
Landy antispam question: I think so

Re: Discovery 3

Postby Walker » 15 Jul 2015 17:08

Thanks Dave, Yip it looks like I will have to go to a 2nd hand Fortuner or 2nd hand Prado, last thing I need ehwn retired is a trouble some vehicle.

Regards,
Charles.

Return to “Africa Land Rover Chat”